At White Spider we are passionate about route setting because we know you want routes that will challenge and inspire you whatever the grade you climb at.
Your route setting questions answered:
How do you set routes?
- For our initial set, we have around 250 routes and 120 boulder problems across 2,000 m2 of wall. We have areas that are easier for beginners and more challenging for experienced and adventurous climbers. We ask the route setters to come with their imagination, their climbing passion and experience to set routes that are nicely challenging for the grade and provide variety for regular climbers.
- We built the walls so that all natural features are included in our routes, so there are some great arêtes and laybacks. The high walls are a mix of lead and top-rope, approximately 50:50 though we vary this over time and we also move the top-topes around to create variety.
- Our bouldering is set using mostly V-grade problems, some long traverses, and also some circuits on our roof and system walls.
How often do you change the routes?
- You'll find new routes on the wall every week; we are now working on an 8 week cycle for our main bouldering areas and a 12 week cycle for the high walls.
- As we aim to have over 400 routes at White Spider, we are confident you won't get bored so let us know if you do and we'll find you a new challenge.
- We will endeavour to route set on weekdays from 9.30am until 4.30pm in order to minimise any impact to our customers, for details see Latest News and our updates on White Spider Facebook and Spider Climbing Twitter.
Who sets the routes?
- We'll be using some of the most highly respected route setters in the country as well as sourcing internationally accomplished setters from abroad. At White Spider we also want to foster up and coming talent so we will also give opportunities to those who are newer to setting.
Who grades the routes?
- The route setter suggests the initial grade and then we give it the White Spider test (a good excuse to make sure we get to climb every new route). Let us know your feedback on our routes through firstname.lastname@example.org
Can I tell you what I think of the routes?
- Yes please do! just email us on email@example.com or write your comments in our route book on the reception desk. Tell us what you like and dont like.