New to Climbing?
Never climbed before but want to give it a go? Climbed a couple of times, or a few years ago? Then we have the session for you.
We offer Taster sessions for adults and children, for adults they run both at the weekends or weekday evenings and at the weekends for children. Taster sessions are an opportunity to try climbing out in a relaxed and comfortable environment, ideal for those who have never tried this fun and versatile sport.
Alternatively we offer private lessons. We can be flexible with dates and times as the session is your own, so let us know what you would like to get out of your session. With private lessons we can book a maximum of 3 people per instructor and we can mix the ages, so if both father and son want a go, it’s not a problem!
Good session? Want to learn to climb? If you feel climbing is for you, or your child, we have more options available for you!
- Our ‘Adult Beginners Course’ is a comprehensive program we run either during weekday evenings or over the weekend. During the course you will learn knot-tying and belay techniques as well as familiarising yourself with climbing equipment, centre rules and safety. The beginner’s course will give you the skills you need to climb unsupervised at our centre.
- ‘Adult Boulder Beginners’ is a short course, giving you the know-how to be safe on our bouldering areas without supervision.
- Refresher Session: So you used to climb years ago and you’re a little rusty on some of the essential techniques you need to be safe while climbing. We suggest you either take part in our Beginner’s course or take a string of private lessons to get you back up to scratch. Please note there needs to be at least two participants.
Did your child enjoy their session? Would they like to get involved in regular climbing at White Spider? Then please check out our youth pages for our popular term time and holiday kids clubs.
More and detailed information below!
It's important you read through the 'Planning your visit' pages before attending White Spider. We've put all our frequently asked questions on this page to help you too!
"I completed the 6 hour Beginners Course. It was fantastic – everything I need to know with a fabulous instructor, who pitched the sessions at perfect level, good fun and a lovely guy!"
"Excellent! Really good, friendly and systematic instruction. Learnt loads – I'm hooked!!"
Can I come and have a go?
If you haven't climbed much before, we'd need you to book a session with one of our instructors or come and visit us with an experienced climber.
All instructed sessions at White Spider must be pre-booked as our sessions are popular, and do tend to get booked up in advance. We are very rarely able to cater for those who arrive and want a session then and there.
Want to check out the centre before booking a session?
Please come down and have a look, one of our friendly staff members will show you around. Additionally we have 2 auto-belays here at the centre, they're a system that work without the use of a belayer or instructor. We'll simply show you how to use them safely and you're free to give them a go on our climbing wall.
- Priced at £5 for every 15 minutes for both adults and children.
Once you've given the auto belays a go book a session with one of our skilled instructors to develop your overall climbing skills.
It's also worth considering the BMC participation statement before getting involved:
"The BMC recognises that climbing, hill walking and mountaineering are activities with a danger of personal injury or death. Participants in these activities should be aware of and accept these risks and be responsible for their own actions and involvement."
If you want to have a go, we recommend trying:
Adult Taster Session
Benefits: An opportunity to give climbing a go in a fun environment under full instructor supervision, with up to 6 adults to a group.
- 1 hour
- Courses run at 7.30pm or 8.30pm most weekday evenings, and 2pm at weekends (subject to availability).
- To book, give us a call on 0208 397 0390.**
Benefits: A 1:1 session with an instructor, which can be scheduled at a time convenient for you.
The session is yours! The instructor will be happy to tailor the session to whatever you'd most like to do.
- 1 hour
- Individuals (max 3 participants): prices from £40 per hour
- Groups (4+ participants): prices from £90 per hour . For detailed price information, please visit 'Prices'
- Lessons can be scheduled at any time during the week within our opening hours.
- Give us a call on 0208 397 0390 to book!**
For information on our options for kids, please have a look at the 'Youth' tab here.
**Please note: we are unable to take provisional bookings, so payment is required to reserve your places!
Want to learn how to climb?
If you want to learn, we want to teach you!
Like with learning to drive, we feel that repeated experience under instructor supervision will make you the best climber you can be. This can either be done through our beginners course (details below), or through a series of private lessons. Prebooking is essential for all our courses, as they do tend to get booked up in advance.
Benefits: The course provides an in-depth tuition in belaying, knot tying and risk management, allowing you to tackle all top ropes with independence and confidence. This is also a cost and time effective solution!
- 6 hours duration, across two 3 hour sessions.
- £95 per person
- Courses run on Mondays 7-10pm, Thursdays 7-10pm or at Weekends 10am-1pm or 4-7pm
- Give us a ring on 0208 397 0390 to book yourself in.
Please note: we need at least 2 people for a beginners course to run (it's hard to teach belaying with just one person..!), so courses may be rescheduled if they are undersubscribed.
Benefits: This course will teach you all you need to know to be allowed to boulder independently at White Spider – in just 1 hour!
- 1 hour duration
- £20.00 per person (Adults only)
- Courses run at 8.30 pm on Mondays and Saturdays at 2 pm.
- To book, give us a call on 0208 397 0390!
If these times don't work for you, you can always book a series of private lessons. Information on these sessions is available within the "How do I get involved" section above.
For further pricing information, please visit: Prices
Do you offer anything for groups?
We have loads of options available to groups here at White Spider.
For adult charity, corporate or other groups, please call us on 0208 397 0390 and we can talk you through your options!
For groups of under 18s, please check out Schools & Youth Groups, in the youth tab.
How much does it cost?
Here is a guide for beginner session prices:
- Adult Taster sessions – £18.50 for 1 hour
- Private lessons – from £40 per hour
- Beginners course – £95 for 6 hours
- Boulder Beginners – £20 for 1 hour
For more detailed pricing information, please see: Prices
If you have friends/relatives who are experienced climbers, see 'My friend is an experienced climber' below.
How do I book a session?
Prebooking is essential at White Spider, as our sessions do tend to get booked up in advance. We are also unable to take provisional bookings, so payment in full is required to secure any sessions or places.
This can either be done over the phone at 0208 397 0390, or in person at reception.
If you want to check our availability, feel free to email us here.
My friend is an experienced climber, can I visit White Spider with them?
Absolutely! They are allowed to supervise a maximum of 2 people. If they are the only experienced climber, they won't be allowed to use our ropes but they can belay for you. We are more than happy for you to boulder together.
You'd then just need to pay the standard entry fees and sign an Adult Supervised form, along with the Supervision register.
How do I get my kids involved?
We've got loads for kids to get involved with at White Spider, check out the 'Youth' pages here for more options.
I used to climb a few years ago, how can I get back into it?
We'd suggest you book a private lesson with one of our instructors to refresh your memory on all things climbing.
If you've had a really long gap, they may suggest you do a beginners course to fully remind yourself and make you the best climber you can be.
Failing that, we'd suggest you come down with some experienced climbers and ask them to supervise you the first few times. Once you feel confident you can climb independently, you can ask to go through the registration process and get signed off yourself.
I'm a disabled ambulant climber, what facilities does White Spider have?
We have an accessible disabled toilet on the ground floor. We also have instructors who are specifically trained to support disabled ambulant users. We are committed to being as inclusive as we can be, so please do contact us if you'd like to book or have any questions.