Can my child have a go?
We have a whole host of sessions tailored specifically for kids! Kids cannot climb at White Spider unless they are under the supervision of either an experienced climber or one of our qualified instructors.
All sessions at White Spider must be pre-booked as our sessions are popular, and do tend to get booked up in advance. We are very rarely able to cater for those who arrive and want a session then and there.
If you want them to have a go, we recommend trying:
Junior Taster Session
Benefits: An opportunity to give climbing a go in a fun, safe environment under full instructor supervision, with up to 6 other kids in their group.
These sessions are also great exercise, and offer a great opportunity to develop problem solving, teamwork and communication skills.
– 1 hour
– Courses run at 4.30 on Monday and Friday afternoons, and on some weekends (subject to availability).
– To book, give us a call on 0208 397 0390.**
Benefits: A 1:1 session with an instructor, which can be scheduled at a time convenient for you.
The session is yours – the instructor will be happy to tailor the session to whatever you’d like the kids to do. You can even join in yourself!
– 1 hour
– Individuals (max 3 participants): prices from £40 per hour
– Groups (4+ participants): prices from £90 per hour
– Lessons can be scheduled at any time during the week within our opening hours.
– Give us a call on 0208 397 0390 to book!**
Holiday Climbing Clubs
During the holidays, we run climbing clubs every day, prebooking is essential for these clubs as they tend to book up in advance.
All clubs run on Mondays 14.00 – 15.30pm or 16.00 – 17.30pm, Tuesday – Friday 10.00 – 11.30am, 12.00 – 13.30pm or 14.00 – 15.30pm, and at weekends 10.00 – 11.30 am or 17.00 – 18.30pm and cost £15.00.
For more information and the dates these classes will be running, visit the School Holiday climbing page.
Term Time Climbing Clubs
Our popular term-time after school and weekend climbing clubs run across 10 weeks, roughly matching the school term time dates. These courses offer the chance to climb with a group of other kids at similar ages or abilities, and build their confidence, skills and passion for climbing!
For more information, please visit the Kids Clubs & NICAS page.
**Please note: we are unable to take provisional bookings, so payment is required to reserve your places!
Can my child climb without supervision?
If they are over 14 years old, and are confident with their climbing, belaying and knot tying – then yes! If your child doesn’t meet these requirements, then they’ll need to be supervised by an experienced adult climber or one or our qualified instructors. Unfortunately, we can’t just let them have a go on their own.
For the over 14s, to be allowed to climb independently they’ll need to book in for our Unsupervised Access Test. You can find online booking and further details here
I want my child to learn and develop their climbing skills, what do you have on offer?
Kids are lucky – they are the perfect build for climbing. Starting early can really benefit their climbing performance later in life, and help them develop a range of other important life skills in the process.
We have the following options open to you:
NICAS after school/weekend clubs
Benefits: NICAS (a national award scheme for indoor climbing) courses run over a 10 weeks, roughly matching school term dates. This offers the kids the opportunity to get to know other climbers their age, as well as develop their skills and knowledge. Each child has a log book, and on completion of all tasks will recieve a certificate of achievement. For more detailed information, please visit our Kids Clubs and NICAS page.
– Clubs are split into levels, from foundation to technical climbing.
– 1.5 hours duration
– £150 for 10 week term
– These sessions run after school on Monday – Thursday 4.30 – 6pm or 6 – 7.30pm, and at weekends 10 – 11.30am, 11.30 – 1pm or 5-6.30pm.
– Give us a ring on 0208 397 0390 for more information or visit the Kids Clubs & NICAS pages. We are currently half way through the winter term, and are not yet booking for the new year. To join our waiting list for the new term, you can either call us, or send us an email with your name, contact phone number, email address, names & ages of the children and which course you’d be interested in them joining.
Benefits: RochTech offers the opportunity to learn the advanced rope techniques that are required for outdoor climbing, in the safe and controlled environment of an indoor climbing wall.
– 1.5 hours duration
– £15.00 for a single session
– These sessions run during holiday periods, more information is available here.
– As always, phone us on 0208 397 0390 to book, or visit reception!
Benefits: The Web aims to provide technical skills for young climbers, through a variety of basic and advanced climbing techniques.
– 1. 5 hours duration
– £15.00 for one session
– These sessions run every day during school holiday periods.
– For more information, please visit ‘Holiday Programs‘, and to book give us a call on 0208 397 0390 or visit reception.
Junior Competition Squad
Benefits: For the most ambitious and talented of our young climbers, our competition performance squad offers the opportunity to experience competing against other strong young climbers, teamwork and carrying the White Spider brand into the climbing community.
– 1 year duration, with tailored coaching programme
– Places gained following trials to join the squad
– For more information, please call us on 0208 397 0390 and we can talk you through it in more detail or check out the Junior Competition Squad page.
I’m an experienced climber, can I bring my kids down for a climb with me?
Absolutely! You may supervise a maximum of 2 people – whatever their age.Obviously, they won’t be allowed to belay for you, but we are more than happy for you to boulder together. We ask that kids do not cross the red lines anywhere in the centre without your supervision, and that you stay with them at all times.
I’m not the kids’ parent, can I still bring them down?
Yes you can! Provided we have a signed Novice Registration Form for them, available here. This cannot be signed on behalf of parents.